We love breading everything from vegetables to tofu with our crushed up puffs, but these fish sticks are just so much better than anything you could find in the grocery store that we had to write a recipe for them. They're perfect with a squeeze of lemon as we transition from summer into fall.
As a bonus, we included our favorite vegan tartar sauce recipe (find it here) because what goes better with fish sticks than a tangy tartar sauce???
This recipe can be tailored for an air fryer or to be baked in the oven. We preferred making them in the air fryer because it made it extra crispy, but don't worry if you don't have an air fryer at home! The oven version is just as delicious!
Servings: 2 full servings//4 appetizer servings
Does it keep? Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Re-crisp in the air-fryer or a 400F oven for a few minutes.
- 1lb skinless cod (frozen is fine, just defrost before cooking)
- 1/2 cup flour (GF if preferred)
- 1 egg or 1 flax seed egg*
- 1/2 cup blitzed Brass Roots Puffs (1 oz bag; We used Jalapeño Cheddar)
- 1/4 tsp salt + extra for garnishing (we recommend flakey sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Oil spray
- Preheat the air fryer or oven to 400F.
- Cut the fish into desired shape. We recommend ~1-inch strips or squares if you want nuggets.
- In one bowl combine flour, salt and pepper. Mix egg or flax seed egg in a second bowl. Pour blitzed up Brass Roots Crunch Puffs in a third bowl.
- Begin dredging the fish strips: lightly coat in flour. Move the strip to egg bowl and dip. Tap off the excess egg drips and move to the third bowl with the puff crumbs. Coat evenly and place to the side. Repeat with the rest of the fish strips.
- Air Fryer: Place the strips in the air fryer basket with about 1/2 inch between strips (you may need to work in batches), lightly spray with oil. Cook at 400F for 5 minutes; Flip and cook another 5-7 minutes or until crispy.
- Oven: Place the strips on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes at 400F; Flip and bake another 6-10 minutes until golden.
- Transfer fish to paper towel. Cool slightly and serve with this tartar sauce!