Spring has sprung, but we are still feeling cozy! This casserole is so easy from start to finish and it's the perfect way to sneak some healthy veggies into your comfort food. It's perfect to make on a Sunday or Monday evening to serve up all week long. You can even split this recipe into two smaller dishes and freeze one for later. Talk about meal-prep heaven!
Get baking, post a picture, and tag us @brassrootsfood using the #snackwithapurpose so we can see what you create and feature you!
Truffle Rosemary Chicken & Broccoli Casserole [DF, GF, Vegan Option, Whole 30]
Does it keep? Meal prep friendly! For best results, refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce*:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed OR boiled for ~20 minutes
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt (optional: truffle salt for extra depth in flavor!)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken (about 1 whole rotisserie chicken). For vegan option use plant based chicken, soy curls or jackfruit
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli (about three cups), chopped
- 10 mushrooms (we used baby bella), sliced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth (vegetable if vegan)
- 1oz bag of Brass Roots Truffle Rosemary Crunch Puffs
- salt and pepper
- rosemary (optional garnish)
- This recipe uses soaked cashews! Make sure to soak your cashews the night before or, if you're short on time, boil your cashews for 20-25 minutes until soft. If you are not using a high powered blender/don't soak your cashews, the sauce will turn grainy!
- *This vegan Alfredo recipe will make about 1 cup of sauce. It's fine to use store bought sauce if you want to save some time or don't have a blender, but the sauce can be made the day before and it's so worth the extra 5 minutes!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Add all ingredients (cashews, broth/water, garlic, lemon juice, onion, nutritional years and salt) to your blender (high-powered preferred).
- Blend until smooth, about 45 seconds.
- Set aside. This can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and mushroom, stir gently for 3-4 minutes. Add in the broccoli and stir a few minutes more until the broccoli is bright green.
- Spread the shredded chicken in a 9x13-inch casserole dish or two smaller dishes if you plan to freeze one. Make sure the bottom is covered and add the sautéed onions, mushrooms and broccoli
- Combine 1 cup chicken/vegetable broth with Vegan Alfredo Sauce. Pour over vegetables and chicken. Lightly use a spatula or spoon to make sure everything is evenly covered.
- Place the dish in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the sauce is gently bubbling. Top with crushed Truffle Rosemary Brass Roots Crunch Puffs and broil on high for a few minutes.
- Remove, garnish with rosemary sprigs. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
*Don't forget to share your picture and tag us @brassrootsfood using the hashtag #snackwithapurpose so we can see your creation!