Here's what you need to know about the secret ingredient in all of our products: the Sacha Inchi seed!
1. HISTORY: the Sacha Inchi seed has been cultivated by the indigenous people of Peru for centuries (which is why it is nicknamed the "Incan Peanut")
2. NUT FREE: despite having a nut-like texture and flavor, it's actually a seed (aka NO peanut or tree nut allergens)
3. SUSTAINABILITY: the seeds are sustainably cultivated and harvested because they grow in regions with naturally high rainfall (that means very little irrigation and no taxing of the local water basin)
4. HIGH PROTEIN: they contain up to 9 grams of complete protein per serving (complete proteins contain all 9 essential amino acids - there are only a few plant-based complete proteins out there, so we are very proud to be one of them!)
5. OMEGA 3s: ~50% of the fat in Sacha Inchi seeds comes in the form of the Omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (which may improve brain health and increase levels of "good" HDL cholesterol)
6. HIGH FIBER: They also contain 6 grams of fiber per serving, making them a powerful prebiotic and a tool in maintaining good gut health (FYI, prebiotic fiber is necessary to feed the friendly bacteria in your gut)
7. SOCIAL IMPACT: we source our organic Sacha Inchi seeds from a wonderful partner in Thailand & Laos, who uses his proceeds to fund schools that educate and empower youth in the region (to learn more about this, click here!)
Watch our founder Aaron talk about this special little seed:
Are you wondering where the organic Sacha Inchi seeds that go into all of our products come from?
We source these special little seeds from our farming partner Chan, who is based in Thailand and Laos. Chan became refugee in Thailand during the Vietnam War. At 13 years old, he fled with his family to the US, where despite not knowing any English, he began working to provide for his family.
After building a better life in America and receiving an education, Chan decided to return to Thailand. He saw firsthand what perseverance could do in the U.S., and knew that if he provided the right tools, he could positively impact kids in the communities where he grew up.
Using proceeds from the local Sacha Inchi seed agriculture, Chan has set up a K-12 school, as well as a university, to educate and empower youth and put them on a path towards success.
Being able to source our seeds from these farmers not only aligns perfectly with our mission of youth empowerment, but also allows us to bring our #SnackWithAPurpose motto full circle.
To hear more about the social impact of Sacha Inchi seeds in Thailand and Laos, check out this video from our founder Aaron:
Don't forget to thank your friend