We are all about balance here at Brass Roots and while we like to find healthy options for most of our recipes, sometimes you just need to make a creamy and delicious buttercream without worrying about the nutrition. That being said, we like to think that using our unsweetened Sacha Inchi Butter gives us a bit of an advantage with so much protein and omega 3's packed in a small amount! We used this recipe to top our super spooky halloween cupcakes (other brands beware!!!) which you'll see below!
Give this buttercream recipe a go on your favorite cupcakes! Be sure to tag @brassrootsfood so we can see your creation and share :)
Servings: Enough for 12 full sized cupcakes and 13 minis (see picture above)
Does it keep? You can make it the day before and mix again before frosting, but it is best fresh.
- 2oz bittersweet chocolate (60-70% cacao), chopped
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Sacha Inchi Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp non-dairy milk (as needed to make frosting creamier)
- Melt the chocolate either in a double-boiler on the stove or in the microwave (heating for 30 seconds at a time and stirring well between). Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl/stand mixer (preferably with a paddle attachment) combine the sifted powdered sugar, cocoa powder, softened butter, and sacha inchi butter on low speed until mixed. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat until fluffy (4-5 minutes).
- Turn off the mixer, pour in the melted chocolate and vanilla, and beat again until light and fluffy. Add non-dairy milk as needed to reach your desired consistency. The frosting should be fluffy, but hold its shape when spread.
- Spread on cooled cupcakes with a piping bag, gallon bag (with a corner cut), or a butter knife. Optionally top with sprinkles/chocolate chips/etc. and enjoy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.